top of page
  • Olivia Thomas

A reminder for our readers - APRIL 1st 2018 - EPC regulation changes

As from the 1st April 2018 there will be a requirement for any properties rented in the private rented sector to have a minimum energy performance rating of E on an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

The regulations will come into force for all new lets and renewals of tenancies with effect from 1st April 2018 and for all existing tenancies on 1st April 2020. It will therefore be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum E rating, unless there is an applicable exemption. A civil penalty of up to £4,000 could be be imposed for breaches.

It is recognised that there are some properties that will not reach an E rating and the Energy Assessor will note this on the EPC and a note of the highest possible rating will also be given on the document.

As long as landlords comply with all the recommendations on the EPC it will be legal to let properties that cannot be brought up to the minimum standard. The new rating will be noted on the revised EPC and a potential tenant will therefore be aware that the property may be expensive to heat – this may have an impact on a landlord’s ability to let the property as more tenants become conscious of higher fuel costs.

Do I need an EPC?

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is:

• built

• sold

• rented

You must order an EPC for potential buyers and tenants before you market your property for sell or rent.

What is an EPC?

An EPC contains:

• information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs

• recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

If you are unsure if your property has a valid EPC or not please contact us with the postcode of your rental property and we can investigate this for you.

How do I get an EPC?

You’ll need to find an accredited assessor if you’re selling or renting out your home, They’ll assess your property and produce the certificate. A local estate or letting agent can arrange this for you or you can find accredited assessors on the government website.

15 views0 comments
bottom of page